Sunday, February 3, 2008

He is my rest...

Church was good this morning, the kind of good that reminds you that there is power in relationships, the kind of good that makes you proud to be a part of community. The running theme to this morning's "goodness" was prayer....prayer to lay our morning at His feet with our Children's Team, prayer with a good friend during first service, prayer with another friend during second service, prayer is good I tell you.

The last two nights I've gotten a mere 4 hours of sleep, if that. My brain just won't stop sometimes and I often loose sleep over the desire for sleep (it's ironic and annoying all at the same time)....this morning as I headed off to church with a pounding headache and a frustrated attitude, the words from a Jon Shirley song kept going over and over in my mind. "I am never tired that You can't be my rest" What a powerful statement, especially living a life where sleep seems like such a neccessity, such a valuable commodity. In the mornings after a night of fitful, poor sleep often I wonder and worry about how I will get through my day on as little rest as I was able to get. The all consuming truth of the matter is, my need for sleep as a busy, working, wife and mom pales in comparison to my need for Him. He is an ever present, all sustaining force in my life and I am never tired that He can't be my rest, Jesus, sweet Jesus.

4 comments :

Heidi said...

Mandy, I didn't know you weren't sleeping again. I'm so sorry.

Danielle said...

uhhh, stupid insomnia. I hate that! I will be praying that you can get some rest the next few night - I know how frustrating and helpless it can feel. Love you dear Mandrea...glad you're my friend.

Jen said...

Prayer is good! I needed that so much, I thank God for giving you the abilty to see deep into my heart(even with out sleep....eventhough you opened some flood gates...)

Mandy said...

heidi/danielle, thanks for your compassion, thankfully I've slept great the past couple nights...

jen, thanks for your heart, it was great to pray with you, i will continue to ask God to give you clarity.....